What is Sublimation?
Dye Sublimation, as a process, is really very simple. It is the method of applying an image to specially coated ceramics, metals, and polyester cloth.Sublimation uses three main ingredients: sublimation ink, heat, and pressure. Sublimation ink is unique in its ability to convert from a solid to a gas without going through a liquid form. The conversion is initiated by heat and controlled with pressure and time.Hard items such as ceramic, fiber board, metals, etc. requires a special coating to accept the sublimation inks. You must purchase the mugs, tiles, metals, etc. with the coating already on them, it is not something you can coat yourself.When you apply to 100% polyester you do not need any coating, it is applied directly to the 100% polyester fabric.
Advantages of Sublimation:
- Images are permanent and do not peel or fade.
- Dye does not build up on the fabric.
- Colors can be are extraordinarily brilliant due to the bonding of the dye to the transparent fibers of the synthetic fabric.
- Truly continuous tones can be achieved that are equivalent to photographs, without the use special techniques such as half-screen printing.
- The image can be printed all over the entire item, with no difficulty in printing all the way to the edges.